How to choose the best CV Format
With so many formats of CV available these days it is pretty difficult to decide which one is the best format of CV. When it comes to choosing the best format of CV, there are a number of points to consider. The very first one you should remember is that employers donot spare more than a few seconds on a resume, so whatever you make have to be legible as well as free from any kind of clutter. Apart from this, there are some other significant points to remember while choosing the best format of CV for making your own.
- In the race of making an impressive resume, we normally look for CV formats that look good, but we usually forget that recruiters care more for information instead of graphics. You will surely not want the recruiter to search for information they want amidst the mess of intense graphics. This means that best format of CV is that which puts more emphasis on the presentation of information rather than graphics.
- Look for CV with different parts for different type of information. Sometimes, only a simple line act as good separators and help the reader to find particular areas effortlessly.
- Pay more attention to the structure of the resume, as it is of utmost significance. Make sure that the structure is followed from the beginning to the end adding uniformity to your CV.
- Keep your eyes open for every little detail starting from the font to the formatting. Sometimes small or big fonts can make the CV look incoherent or sometimes adding information more than that is required can make the CV appear messy. All these points will cut down your chances of being selected for an interview.
- Look for the major sections that are required to complete a CV. These include the personal information section where you insert your name, address, or contact details then is the personal profile section, then the section of career summary, followed by educational qualifications, experience, achievements and skills, interests and Hobbies, and References. Remember that the structure should be consistent all through the CV, as this is the base on which you build your CV.
- Most of the CVs share these common sections with some differences according to the industry, job or position. Therefore, you should pick the CV format containing these major sections. To make any CV format the best format of CV, you should make changes to it as per the kind of job you apply for, your career and other related circumstances.
- You should first understand the kinds of CV formats available, which are functional, combination, and chronological resume formats, and then pick the best format of CV that suits your job search approach. You can also check some of the resume templates and samples available over the internet and catch a glimpse of the tips for writing a good CV. Once you go through these tips, the basic rules will be clear to you.
- Check out both content layout of CV as well as visual layout of CV and then decide which is the best format of CV for you. The layout of resumes is more often the same, but the visual elements can be played with to bring out different effects. Whether it is the alignment, or the font, the heading, bullets, spacing, and even color, all these elements play an important part in the overall impact of the CV.
If you keep these points in mind, then choosing the best format of CV will not be very difficult for you, and make sure that you go for nothing but the best.